Skip to content

Tiffany Stained Glass Window Restoration Complete

January 7, 2015
Brown Memorial Baptist Church

Brown Memorial Baptist Church

Over two years ago Brown Memorial Baptist Church completed the first phase of a restoration project of their historic church, and embarked on the second phase: the restoration of two stained glass windows created for the church in 1891 by the famed stained glass artist Louis Comfort Tiffany. Today one of the Tiffany windows called “The Pilgrims” was unveiled to the public in all its former glory.

The church was founded in 1860 and today has landmark status. Located on Washington Avenue in Clinton Hill, the church today has over 800 regular members. In mid-2012 an ambitious restoration project on the church was completed after 11 years. A new roof, ceiling for the sanctuary, chandeliers, light fixtures and more, were added to the Early Romanesque-Revival building.

After the first phase of the renovation was completed the church decided to tackle two of their twelve stained glass windows created by Tiffany in 1891. The church was the recipient of a grant of $200,000 to restore the two windows. The money came from a fund created by American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, a group that is dedicated to restoring sites in New York City of historic value.

“The inside of the sanctuary inspires awe,” said Aquila Middleton, the volunteer director of construction at the church. “A lot of time and care went into its restoration.”

An additional $150,000 was also raised from the New York Landmarks Conservancy and other sources.

“The Pilgrims” is 40 feet high and 50 feet wide. It shows two pilgrims visiting with an angel.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: